My family and I sat down to watch one of the Kendrick Brothers' inspirational films (best Christian films ever, by the way), Overcomer. I can't recommend this movie enough. The simplicity of the Christian faith that is portrayed in Overcomer will inspire your heart and help your soul.
I won't spoil the movie, but within the movie an influential person encourages the main actress to read the first two chapters of Ephesians and write down everything God says about her. After watching the movie, I decided to do the same. And after I read back through the long list, my chin trembled and my heart squeezed in my chest.
I haven't included all of the things I wrote down, but here are a few:
Who I am, according to Ephesians 1-2:
1. "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love" -Ephesians 1:4
2. "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace" -Ephesians 1:7
3. "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will" -Ephesians 1:11
4. "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" -Ephesians 2:4-6
5. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." -Ephesians 2:8-9
6. "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." -Ephesians 2:10
7. "But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ." -Ephesians 2:13
8. "For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby" -Ephesians 2:14-16
9. "For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father." -Ephesians 2:18
10. "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God" -Ephesians 2:19
I needed that movie in this particular season of my life. It brought to my remembrance of how much God loves me, how much He cares for me, and how much He wants me to pursue Him. Everyone needs encouragement, and I'm thankful people still make touching films and follow Christ in this nutty world.
I will go back and find strength in these small, but very incredible statements. You do the same thing. Let what you find sink in. Open your heart. God is who He says He is, and you are who He says you are. Be encouraged by that. Find purpose in that.
You May Also Enjoy:
Note From Founder
Hi there! I'm Katlyn Grace and welcome to the advice section. Here we get real. These blogposts are written from my heart to yours, and I pray they encourage your heart and bring joy to your soul!